Monday, October 21, 2013

My First Night Football Game!

Hey Everyone!

I really wanted to blog today about shooting my first night time football game (7pm start) mostly because of how impressed my Canon 60D performed at such high ISO. And for you non-photographers out there, shooting at a high ISO is something many photographers avoid like the plague! This is mostly because the higher you raise your ISO, the more "noise" you introduce into your picture. So the lower, the better, that usually means ISO 100 or, for Nikon users, ISO 200. Well, for the Heidelberg at Otterbein game, I shot all my frames at ISO 6400 which scared me at first because I had no idea how my images were going to come out!

But, on Sunday morning when I went to go import my images into Lightroom I was pleasently surprised at the quality of my images. I was so excited to know that I didn't waste 3 hours of shooting the football game in the cold/rainy weather!

Here are some of my images from the game:
Comment below and let me know what you think!
I'm not sure about the shutter speed. But, as far as settings go, I was probably right around 200-300mm at f/5.6 at ISO 6400.






I think the shot directly above was shot at about ISO 3200, but still a very high ISO! And I love this image!!



This is one of the ones I would like your feedback on because this is another one of those images that I fell in love with as soon as I shot it. I saw the shadow on the ground and I composed the frame to have him on the right hand side and the shadow on the left hand side. Now, in my opinion, if this was shot at a clean ISO 100 and there were no noise in this image, I don't think it would be as dramatic as it is right now. I think with the noise in the image it makes it look more "grundgy" and definitely a lot more dramatic. It tells the story of the game. It was a dark, rainy, and muddy game. And I think this image proves that. I love it!

Let me know what you think! Does the "noise" bother any of you?

No comments:

Post a Comment